1/2/08

1998

1998

10.There's Something About Mary (dir. Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly)
9. Out of Sight (dir. Steven Soderbergh)
8. Rounders (dir. John Dahl)
7. The Big Lebowski (dir. Joel Coen)
6. American History X (dir. Tony Kaye)

5. Happiness (dir. Todd Solondz)
One of the bleakest of all movies punctuated with moments of pure black comedy. Some of it is disgusting, some of it is uncomfortable (ok all of it is) but you can never turn away.
4. Saving Private Ryan (dir. Steven Spielberg)
Easily gets my pick as my favorite war movie ever. The opening scene at Normandy is one for the ages. The rest of the movie is great as well with set piece after set piece of incredible action.
3. Rushmore (dir. Wes Anderson)
It almost seems like heresy to not have this at #1. It's still one of my favorites mainly because of its great characters and to its perfect attention to detail.
2. Pleasantville (dir. Gary Ross)
One of the biggest overlooked titles I can think of. How people don't simply adore this movie is beyond me. Go out and see it!
1. The Truman Show (dir. Peter Weir)
Best Jim Carrey movie? I think if Eternal Sunshine didn't exist this would be it. But even so this movie is just as good as that one. Incredible film.

Unseen Movies

Flowers of Shanghai
Run Lola Run
Dark City
The Thin Red Line (I've seen this sort of)
The Celebration
Pi (I've seen this sort of)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (I've seen this sort of)
Celebrity
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Buffalo '66
Central Station
April Story
He Got Game
After Life

No comments: