1/2/08

1994

1994

10. Natural Born Killers
(dir. Oliver Stone)
9. Three Colors: White (dir. Krzysztof Kieslowski)
8. Clerks (dir. Kevin Smith)
7. The Lion King (dir. Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers)
6. The Shawshank Redemption (dir. Frank Darabont)

5. Forrest Gump (dir. Robert Zemeckis)
I think it's one of the most inventive movies to ever become really popular. I view it as a big ole populist fable complete with the soundtrack of the changin' times!
4. Three Colors: Red (dir. Krzysztof Kieslowski)
This one is probably the best of the trilogy. It's one of the most beautiful and poetic films I've ever seen. It reveals its secrets carefully and ties up the other films wonderfully.
3. Chungking Express (dir. Wong Kar Wai)
Wong Kar Wai is probably the biggest direct descendant of the French New Wave. That's a good thing. He likes to play around with the medium and he's not very interested in story. The reason I love this film is because of the way everything is presented and the particular way that Faye Wong happens to look at the camera...
2. Hoop Dreams (dir. Steve James)
One of the most profoundly human films ever made. It goes without saying that it's easily the best documentary I've ever witnessed.
1. Pulp Fiction (dir. Quentin Tarantino)
I've tried to deny how much I like this movie but I just can't do it. This is why I started watching movies seriously.

Unseen Movies

Ed Wood
Vive L'Amour
Crumb
Eat Man Drink Woman
Crooklyn
Exotica
Bullets Over Broadway
Pom Poko
Ashes of Time
Heavenly Creatures
The Hudsucker Proxy
Through The Olive Trees
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Fresh
Leon
Reality Bites

No comments: