2/28/10

My Week in Film (2/22 - 2/28)



The Grapes of Wrath (1940)*
(Directed by John Ford)

A high school classroom is not a good place to watch movies. Seriously. I remember really digging some parts when I was a junior in high school, and then spacing out and falling asleep and making jokes with the people I sat next to (this was probably the best class for that). So, although, I've seen this movie before, I hadn't really seen it. But, now, it's all clear. Well, not at all. Ford definitely goes all out. He's kinda showing off cuz that's how ridiculously beautiful this film is. Not only does he totally master all these dark as fuck scenes with characters barely resembling shadows but he shows why he's the ultimate landscape filmmaker. Sky battling Earth and winning. Seriously. He frames people against the skyline and it is an overwhelming experience. Sure, things get preachy, but Steinbeck's book had that, too. Basically, THE PEOPLE. They can run their own lives. They can...

"A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody, then... "

whoa, whoa, STEINBECK, what you doing there?

I'm not really sure what happened this week...

Jhon's Movie of the Week is... The Grapes of Wrath

No comments: