1/2/08

1988

This is how it begins. A top 10 movies list for every single year that I've been alive with some comments thrown in.

Let's get started



10. The Accidental Tourist (dir. Lawrence Kasdan)
9. Beetlejuice (dir. Tim Burton)
8. Rain Man (dir. Barry Levinson)
7. Big (dir. Penny Marshall)
6. Women On The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (dir. Pedro Almodovar)

5. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (dir. Robert Zemeckis)
It's probably as good as the mix between live-action and animation will ever get. Aside from
being a groundbreaking film and all, it's just an incredibly good time.
4. Akira (dir. Otomo Katsuhiro)
One of the very first anime films I watched. I love the little effect that the bikes have when they're running (stolen in that one Kanye video). I just love the whole cyberpunk feel.
3. Cinema Paradiso (dir. Giuseppe Tornatore)
This is one of my early favorites. I remember getting it from the library years ago and just devouring it. It just speaks to the movie lover in me and makes me fall in love with movies all over again.
2. My Neighbor Totoro (dir. Hayao Miyazaki)
I recently watched this film and it reminded me why I love animation. There's no boundaries. You can do anything you dream of. I've only seen it once though so I don't know if I'll feel the same way about it later.
1. Grave of the Fireflies (dir. Isao Takahata)
It's quite simply one of the most devastating films I've ever seen and one of the best movies ever made.


Unseen Movies

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Alice
Another Woman
Dangerous Liaisons
Dead Ringers
Die Hard
Hairspray
The Last Temptation of Christ
Mississippi Burning
A Short Film About Love
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Thin Blue Line
As Tears Go By

No comments: